Our Credit Committee are always open to welcoming new volunteers on board. Taking an active role in your local credit union by becoming a volunteer can provide you with numerous opportunities within its community. If you’re interested in taking part, read the information below from the ILCU website about what you can do as a volunteer, then contact us if you would like to become a volunteer.
The credit union movement is built upon the efforts of thousands of volunteers who give freely of their time and skills to their credit unions in the spirit of cooperation. Each credit union has a team of volunteers with the skills and knowledge to lead and manage that credit union.
An individual can develop both personally and professionally by volunteering. The benefits of credit union volunteering include:
- Gain skills and experience in a senior role of a professional financial service
- Education and training
- Personal development
- Meet new people from the community
- Work on developmental and business projects
- Give something back to the community
The credit union committees offer an excellent starting point for new volunteers. These committees provide experience, learning and an active role within the credit union.
Once a volunteer has served the credit union at committee level for a period of time, and training needs have been identified and addressed, you can move into a director or supervisor position.
Why people volunteer:
- To learn new skills
- To develop new interests
- To increase employability
- To use professional skills
- To increase self-confidence
- To have a purpose, sense of achievement
- To do something they enjoy
- To make a difference, a desire to help others
- To give back, for example when a family member has benefited from the organisation
- To meet new people, have a sense of belonging or community
- When asked by someone they value
- They hold the organisation and its ethos in high esteem
The above information was taken from the official ILCU website, which can be found by clicking here.
If you’re interested in volunteering, you can contact us to find out more about volunteering by clicking here. Alternatively, you can ask about volunteering in the office; staff are more than happy to help!